Sunday, July 26, 2009

THE POWER OF NAMING YOUR MONTH

Just before the first of July, I thought about what I wanted to accomplish, to create in each area of my life. While doing that, I decided to name the month Movin' 'n' Groovin'. I know, it sounds a little like a corny Richard Simmons exercise tape. But Movin' 'n' Groovin' turned out to be a great over-arching theme for me to organize my life around.

I started to go to the gym a lot more, to swim and to take new classes. Some of these classes nearly broke me in two. For starters, I got up the nerve to go take a class at The Mark Morris Dance Center. They convinced me, over the phone, that their offerings were not just for seasoned dancers. Uh, I beg to differ. When the teacher said "I don't break down the moves, it gets people too inside their heads," I knew I was in trouble. Sure enough, there was an onslaught of intricate and fast-paced choreography. I was tempted to run out the door, but I stuck around after making it a goal to just keep moving.

I went on to try a class called ZUMBA at the YMCA, where you don't feel like an ass if you can't pirouette twenty times in a row. The teacher was kind enough to say "If you can't keep up, just keep moving. If you stop moving in a sudden way, the blood will pool in your legs and you might get faint." Well, that was incentive enough to follow her instructions. While leading the class, she moved her legs so fast (think salsa steps done to songs sped up to house music beat) that precious few of us could keep up. When she asked us in between songs "How is everyone holding up?" we all just panted and let out big sighs. Then she'd play a song with an even FASTER beat.

I must have looked like a drunk, stumbling home cross-eyed the way I did after the ZUMBAfest.

Then I've been doing good old swimming. No matter how hot and cranky I am from being out in the heat, that's an activity that will put me in a good mood. This week, I switched my YMCA routine up a little and met some new friends at the outdoor pool in Red Hook. It's free and you get to swim under the big blue sky.

All in all, after staying with the spirit of the Movin' 'n' Groovin' theme for July, I have been feeling more strong, energized, centered, and joyful. It's paid off in more ways than one, so I think I'll keep on keepin' on!

PS - I am also a proponent of Naming Your Year.

No comments: