Thursday, January 22, 2009

WHAT I HAVE, AM, AND WILL BE CELEBRATING THIS YEAR

MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY (MONDAY, JAN.16)
I walked into a jam-packed Brooklyn Academy of Music for their 23rd Annual Brooklyn Tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The all-star program featured Minnijean Brown Trickey, one of the Little Rock Nine.

INAUGURATION DAY (TUESDAY, JAN.17)
Mike and I started this day by dancing in our small home office to will.i.am’s video It’s A New Day. (Please watch this video! Also worth watching: will’s Yes, We Can and We Are the Ones.) I then subway’d up to Symphony Space on 96th and Broadway to watch the inauguration on their big screen. I could barely contain my excitement on that subway ride. I wanted to shout: “Hey, everyone! It’s a new day! Let’s get up and boogie!” (I’m saving that for this Friday when it’s Disco Night at Santos House here in NYC.)

It was a great crowd at Symphony Space. There were schoolchildren who had arrived by the busload along with lots of older folks from the neighborhood, many of whom had strong ties to the social movements of the 1960s. I loved that it was a rowdy group, with people laughing, shouting, and starting up different chants.

Afterwards, Sandhya, Ayisha (pictured above at Symphony Space) and I went into a packed Upper West Side restaurant and then back to her apartment to continue watching the festivities. On the subway ride home, I turned to the person next to me and said “What a day, right?” and we had a great conversation.

At night, Mike and I watched The Neighborhood Ball and Youth Ball on t.v. and I watched the It’s A New Day video a couple more times before heading to bed. (Yes, I am addicted!)

CHINESE NEW YEAR
It’s the Year of the Ox, y’all, and as usual I’ll be heading over to PS 124 in Chinatown. Their huge, community-inclusive celebration includes traditional dances performed by the students as well as the official unveiling of the Lunar New Year stamp by the stamp’s artist. To find out about other festivities, look online.

THE TEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF MY BUSINESS, INSPIRED ORGANIZING
Heartfelt thanks to hundreds of inspiring clients and fellow/sister entrepreneurs.

30,000+ VISITS TO CREATIVE TIMES

VALENTINES DAY
One of my favorite holidays and a time to spread the love to friends, family, colleagues, clients, and significant other. Spread the love, people! Think of someone who would be surprised and delighted to know that you care about them and let them know.

MY 40TH BIRTHDAY (NOV.) AND MY DAD, LEN TRAUBMAN’S, 70TH BIRTHDAY(AUG.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was such a special day; a pleasure to spend it with you :) The sound of the school kids chanting O-BA-MA is still ringing in my ears!