Tuesday, August 12, 2008

THE POWER OF A PERSONAL NOTE

Yesterday in the mail, I received a card (see accompanying picture) from a friend who lives out in California. It featured a miniature three-dimensional envelope, calligraphy pen, and inkwell, and the caption "a little note thinking of you."

In the card, my friend wrote "Please remember that I am always here to talk, listen, and share. You mean the world to me, and I truly wish you great happiness and success in all aspects of your life!"

The card and message made my day.

It is a blessing to give and receive hand-written notes. The message need not be lengthy, just heartfelt.

I suggest keeping a tray of items needed for sending letters- a place for your rolodex, perpetual calendar, stamps, pens, return address labels, and assorted stationery. That way, everything you need is in one place. Buying individual greeting cards is fun, but it can also add up cost-wise if you send a lot of them, which is why I am an advocate of boxed notecards.

Think of the people in your life who would love to hear from you - your dad, your grandma, your favorite client, your nephew, the person who helped you get your job.

Now get thee to a stationery store!

No comments: