Sunday, January 29, 2012

THANK YOU, KAM MAK, FOR THE GIFT OF THE FIRST DAY OF ISSUE YEAR OF THE DRAGON STAMP!


Today, at the Chinatown YMCA in NYC, I had the pleasure of watching The Lion Dance and also meeting up with Lunar New Year USPS stamp artist, Kam Mak.  In past years, I saw Kam unveil the Lunar New Year stamp at the annual New Year celebration at a public school in Chinatown.   After seeing him a bunch at the local park/playground in my Carroll Gardens neighborhood, I approached Kam and eventually went to his art studio to interview him for Creative Times.  You can read that post HERE.

Today, I felt so honored when Kam handed to me and also signed the First Day of Issue cover and ceremony program, affixed with the actual Year of the Dragon stamp he designed this year for the USPS.  Kam said that the ceremony, held in San Francisco, was amazing and whole-heartedly supported by The Honorable Edwin Lee, San Francisco's first Chinese-American mayor.

Thank you, Kam, for the gift of your beautiful artwork to all of us!

No comments: