Sunday, September 20, 2009

LETTING GO OF EXPECTATIONS

September 18, 2009
Finding Joy in Life's Surprises
Releasing Your Expectations


The further you distance yourself from your expectations, the more exhilarating your life will become. Though a situation in which you find yourself may not correspond to your initial wants, needs, or goals, ask yourself how you can make the most of it and then do your best to adapt. Your life’s journey will likely take many unpredicted and astonishing twists because you are willing to release your expectations.
- Daily Om

I love this excerpt from Daily Om. I realized I have a habit of getting my hopes waaaaaaay up about certain things, but in a way where I have a specific picture of how things will happen. And if it doesn't happen that way or happen at all, I am disappointed. It's not that I want to give up on wanting things or setting intentions, but letting go of the outcome does seem like a way to free up a lot of energy and bring a kind of lightness into the day. Having rigid expectations seems kind of like holding on to dear life to a tiny life raft while there is a big cruise ship not far in the distance that would be happy to pick up a new passenger.

No comments: