Monday, November 22, 2010

FEELS NICE TO BE THANKED

After working with an organizing client today I was thinking "Oh, I really should go to pilates class at the Y(MCA)." But another voice told me to drop in at Barnes & Nobles. It had been a long time since I had been to the one on the Upper West Side.

I went upstairs and saw lots of people assembled for a reading. After gathering a bunch of books about creativity and such, I leaned against a wall in the craft section to browse through my findings. I couldn't see the folks doing the reading, but I heard someone introduce Erica Jong and then heard Erica Jong introduce the author. I was happy to stay with my pile of books.

One of the reads I looked through was my friend SARK's newest book called Glad No Matter What: Transforming Loss and Change Into Gift and Opportunity. I was pleasantly surprised to see my name on the thank you page. I have not seen SARK in years but I send her cards and occasionally leave messages on her Inspiration Hotline. I met her almost 20 years ago and she took me to lunch. Shortly after, I accepted an offer to be her assistant in her first workshop in New York. There was a snow storm, so the workshop supplies never made it out to NY. On the morning of the workshop, I went out into knee-deep snow in search of supplies. Although I never found some of what we needed, the participants were totally accepting of what had happened. I loved that SARK was so open about her imperfections. She taught me that it's better to be open about that stuff than to try to pull it all together.
Anyway, thanks for the thank you SARK!

No comments: