Sunday, November 14, 2010

THE BEAUTY OF TOSSING THE TO-DO LIST

There is a great story in the children's classic picture book Frog and Toad series called The List. In The List, Toad writes down all the things he has to do that day and crosses each item off of the paper as he completes the task. Suddenly, the list blows away and Toad is deeply distressed. "What will I do without my list?" he asks his dear friend Frog.

Today, I woke up and felt obligated to start checking items off of a mental to-do list which included taking out laundry, cleaning the apartment, buying food, and more. But I also woke up tired from having thrown a big party the night before. My body felt achy, and I knew I needed some TLC. So I made it my first priority to do things that would help me relax and re-energize.

I went to the gym to hit the sauna and to do a bunch of stretches. I ate a healthy lunch. I got a chair massage and a foot/leg massage with some birthday money from my great aunt. I read the Sunday NY Times on a bench in the sun. And guess what? I still had time to buy food and tidy up the apartment AND to watch Tina Fey receive The Mark Twain Prize for Humor.

So glad I tossed that to-do list. Had a great day as a result!

No comments: