Tuesday, June 02, 2009

DO BUSINESS FACE-TO-FACE WHEN POSSIBLE

One of my clients has been dealing with credit card fraud. After receiving a letter from the bank saying they wouldn't cover the fraudulent expenses, my client jumped on the phone with a representative and flew into a rage about the letter. Needless to say, it was a tense conversation and she finally hung up because she was so frustrated.

After she got off the phone, I said to my client "You should just go into your branch and speak to someone face-to-face. They will see you as a real person, a neighborhood person, a valued customer and you can have a real conversation."

My client took my advice and the in-person chat with a branch worker solved the problem.

With all the modern conveniences of the phone, Blackberries, iphone, email, etc. sometimes we forget that face-to-face interactions are often the most important because we see each other as full human beings. Also, 90% of human communication is non-verbal and missed when we rely on technology to get business done.

No comments: