Wednesday, January 19, 2011

THE POWER OF AN UNEXPECTED GIFT

At the end of a workshop I attended last weekend, my friend and artist Lisa Ingram walked up to me with a small gift in her hand. She extended the gift to me.

"What is this for?" I asked with delight and surprise.

"It's a belated birthday present and you've been so great."

When I got home, I unwrapped the ribbon and tissue to find a small, beautiful painting that Lisa had created and mounted on a small canvas. What an honor to now have her work in my home. How lovely to receive an unexpected gift after the rush of the holiday season.

Inspired by Lisa's gesture, I decided to act on an idea I had had for a while to give the security guard at the school where I work a small pot of Daffodils to keep on her desk. She sits by the front door, so she can't really keep decorations around. I thought it would be nice for her to have the bright yellow right in front of her and for families to get to see the flowers right when they come in.

She loved the daffodils and it felt great to give a small expression of my appreciation for everything this woman does to help make people including myself feel so welcome at the school.

Outside of annual birthdays, anniversaries, and other annual events that you help people celebrate, remember the joy of giving the occasional (or frequent!) surprise gift. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, just a heartfelt expression of your appreciation for that person.

Photo credit: Design Sponge.

No comments: