Monday, February 20, 2012

COME CHILLAX ON COLORFUL BEANBAGS AT MOMI AND WATCH A GREAT FILM ABOUT JIM HENSON



MOMI visitors of all ages relax on comfy beanbags as they watch a great film about the life and work of Jim Henson.


Seriously, folks.  If you haven't already, please get on over to the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens  to see Jim Henson's Fantastic World.  The exhibit closes on March 4.

I have made half a dozen trips out to Queens to see the exhibit itself plus the special screenings and live events that have accompanied it.  I saw Brian Henson give a talk about the evolution of puppetry.  I heard Frank Oz be interviewed by Craig Shemin.  I saw Craig Shemin do a demo of puppetry as it's performed for television.  I saw a film about the history of Sesame Street.

Every time I visit Jim Henson's Fantastic World, I learn something new.  I popped by a few days ago and studied the text on the placards more carefully. One of them read as follows:

"Although Jim never forgot that his puppets were made of foam, fleece, and fur, he and millions of viewers were emotionally attached to the believable characters they had become."

No comments: