On Thursday, March 22, The Local Development Corporation of East New York held the 9th Annual Total Woman Business Conference. This year, the focus was on the topic of social media.
One of the keynote speakers was Maria Morales-Prieto, President and CEO of The Hispanic Network. A no-nonsense presenter who also showed a lot of humor and compassion, Ms. Morales-Prieto included these points in her talk:
- Use half of your budget for public relations and marketing
- Go to at least two networking functions a week (She runs a networking group on Long Island)
- Logos should be both simple and original
- Establish one Facebook account for your personal life and connections, and a separate one for your business venture and business connections.
- Pity bullies
- See your face in everyone's face
- Vengeance isn't sweet; it's sour
- Have compassion: when you see someone asking for money, it's because life has beaten the heck out of them
- Let setbacks propel you to move forward
- Criticism is born of jealousy
- Be considerate
- You can fill your jar with water, sand, pebbles and rocks. Rocks represent the big important tasks that move you forward. Begin by filling your jar with the rocks first! In other words: prioritize!
- You are the author of your life. Make it a comedy, not a tragedy!
About Eleanor Traubman
Eleanor is a seasoned literacy tutor, community-builder, and arts and culture writer. An alumna of the Bank Street College of Education, Eleanor has spent the last 25 years working with young people and families in private and public schools, nonprofit education organizations, and museum settings including P.S. 29, The Brooklyn Museum, and The Brooklyn Children's Museum. As Editor-In-Chief of the arts blog Creative Times, Eleanor has interviewed world-loved children's book author/illustrators, as well as original cast and crew members of Sesame Street. Eleanor fosters young people's literacy development by providing creative, project-based opportunities for them to read and write for a real-world audience about topics and for purposes which hold personal meaning for them.
For More information: